Hello Arch community,
If you think all the recent news was not enough, we have some more: The 2009.08 snapshot images are now available!
Changes since the 2009.02 release:
- built from a current snapshot of [core], which includes kernel 22.214.171.124-1, udev 141-5 and pacman 3.3.0-3.
- usage of new AIF installer, which brings:
- better disk editor with support for dm_crypt and lvm setups
- support for automated installations using config files (deprecates quickinst)
- a framework to build your own installation procedures
- enhanced date/time setting with ntp support
- refactored grub installation routines
- usability improvements
- aufs instead of unionfs
- enhanced boot device detection on image start
- bugfixes (xfs freeze, mirror setting, clock correctness, network settings, ...)
- more useful automatic configuration settings for your target system based on your settings during the installation
- ftp images are renamed to netinstall to avoid confusion
- and much more...
As you can see, just like with 2009.02 there have been some large changes in our installation tools. Also the actual building process and environment has been improved a lot since we started the releng project. So it should be more straightforward to build snapshots in the future.
As usual, the images come in iso and img flavors, with grub and isolinux for people whose cd-rom drive doesn't work with grub Due to all mentioned changes, the installation guide has also been overhauled. The new guide is for now only available in English but we'll add other versions when we receive translated versions.