Hi Archlinux Community, 31th March, 14:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time) it's done final 0.8 Voodoo ISOs for i686 and x86_64 are ready :)
Please don't forget to check md5sums.
Torrents are already up and seeded. Metalink packages will be prepared soon.
Changelog of ISO (compared to 0.7.2 install iso):
- to boot the ISO 96 MB RAM are recommended, it breaks somewhere between 80 - 90 MB RAM. (calculated like this: kernel image + initrd size + decompressed initrd)
- dropped install floppy support
- switched from busybox to archboot usage
- Updated packages (including linux 22.214.171.124)
- Full mkinitcpio support
- Installation on PATA and IDE possible (PATA is default now) ide-legacy option included for old IDE subsystem
- All parameters initcpio understands, new ISO does understand
- Usb devices (keyboards/cd/dvd) should now work as they should
- Usage of hwdetect/udev autodetection during boot
- added memtest86+ to iso
- added installation support on cciss devices
- pacman is included to allow installation of any other needed package in install environment.
- added /etc/rc.d/ and /etc/rc.conf support
- added arch network support, including ssh,telnet and portmap services
- added vpn support
- added framebuffer modules to install environment
- added cpufreq support
- added iptables support
- added grub and lilo to install environment
- custom config files support: any media with /config directory and files will be copied to /etc/ install environment
- loading packages as addons during boot: any media with /packages directory including pacman packages will be installed during bootup.
- links and naim included to be able to communicate over the internet.
- added kexec support
Changelog of new setup (compared to 0.7.2 setup):
- added some information dialogs
- added some confirmation dialogs
- added set root password
- removed all kernel24 stuff
- switched to initcpio only support
- added locale-gen file for editing
- only show devices that are usefull in mountpoints selection, partitioning and network
- possibility to select dm and md devices from setup (creation of lvm and md still needs to be done by hand!)
- mkinitcpio autoconfiguration. This includes HOOKS autoconfiguration and hostcontroller configuration: ide/scsi/sata modules are put into MODULES= in mkinitcpio.conf to ensure right loading order and avoid device-swapping
- network modules are put in the MODULES=() in rc.conf - again, this is done to avoid random swapping of multiple network interfaces
- added http:// net install support
Bug collector of fixed showstoppers is here: Fixed_Showstoppers
Forum feedback about 0.8 testing is here: Forum_Testing
Feedback about 0.8 final installations is here: Forum_Final
I would like to thank you all, who assisted in testing and of course finding/fixing bugs, you users/devs simply rock.
Happy installing and have fun.